One of the worst tackles in the history of English football turned 25 today

There's a special place in football hell reserved for Jason Cousins.

On a sunny September afternoon back in 1993, Wycombe Wanderers’ Jason Cousins launched himself into the history books with arguably the worst tackle in the history of English football.

The Choirboys were facing off against Doncaster Rovers at the time.

With the clock ticking towards the break a Wycombe attack down the right wing broke down, with the ball ping-ponging between the two teams as is the norm in the lower reaches of the English game.

Then, out of nowhere, Cousins took flight.

Gliding into proceedings with all the grace of a very aggressive swan, he launched a high-speed, two-footed flying tackle on Doncaster’s Dave Moss that left the attacker angry, to say the least.

A move more traditionally associated with the Street Fighter games of the time, the tackle sparked pandemonium, with Cousins earning his marching orders and the nickname “Psycho” in the process.

Wycombe were enjoying their first season in the Second Division at the time, having earned promotion from the Conference under then-manager Martin O’Neill – and he was unimpressed.

“I have always had an excellent relationship with Martin, but my one regret was that horror challenge in our first season in the Football League,” Cousins later told BBC Sport.

“Just before half-time I was showering away, and he came steaming in.

“I was obviously stark naked. He threw me out of the shower and out of the changing rooms.

“I was left out in the corridor with nothing on, soap in my eyes, and he ended up banning me from the club for a week.

“Some sections of the supporters wanted me thrown out of the club altogether – it was quite a nasty tackle and something that I deeply regret.”

Thankfully Moss escaped from the incident largely unscathed while Cousins was stripped of the club captaincy and served a four-game ban that gave him plenty of time to reflect on things.

He went on to become a club legend, winning Wycombe player of the year on two occasions and playing a key role in the Chairboys’ march to the semi-finals of the FA Cup in 2001. He left for Aldershot in 2003.

Previous Post
Next Post