Belgium and Portugal friendly cancelled in the wake of terror attacks

The decision was taken by the city of Brussels.

Belgium national team
Line up The National team were due to play Portugal in a friendly next week

The friendly match scheduled between Belgium and Portugal has been called off in the wake of the Brussels bomb attacks.

The match, which was supposed to take place next Tuesday, March 29, at the King Baudouin Stadium in Brussels, has been cancelled at the request of the city of Brussels for safety and precaution purposes, according to a statement released by the Belgian FA.

Belgian media reported that the National team and their coach wanted the game to go ahead in the city, also turning down the opportunity to move the game to Portugal, before the decision was made to scrap the game. 

The Belgian FA KBVB said: “We had been in contact with the Portuguese for much of Tuesday and consulted several different security authorities, although understandably they have been absorbed with more urgent matters.”

Yesterday, Manchester City captain and Belgium player Vincent Kompany called for calm in Brussels in the wake of the attacks. 

Vincent Kompany called for calim
Statement The footballer has made his thoughts known.

Terror ripped through Belgium’s capital city yesterday morning after twin blasts hit Zaventem airport at 7am followed by an explosion at Maelbeek Metro station. 

Kompany said in a statement: “Horrified and revolted. Innocent people paying the price again. My thoughts are with the families of the victims.”

He added: “I wish for Brussels to act with dignity. We are all hurting, yet we must reject hate and its preachers. As hard as it may be. #Brussels.”

Previous Post
Next Post

contribute