Everyone should vote. That’s a given.
When the election comes around on June 8, people should get out to the polling stations and help to decide the country’s future, right?
The fact is though, millions of people don’t.
Poor electoral turnout has been a real issue in Britain over recent times. However, pub owner and top guy Joby Andrews has now set up a genius new campaign urging people to register to vote, and it could make a big difference.
The premise is simple – if you haven’t already signed up to vote, you can register now and claim a free pint of beer at one of 24 pubs around the country.
It sounds like a great idea to loaded. After all, who doesn’t love democracy and free beer?
Voter turnout at the last UK general election was 66.1%, with millions of people failing to register to vote.
However, Joby is hoping to change all that.
“As I run a pub, I thought, let’s encourage them to vote by giving them a pint of beer. That, and with the referendum being such a close call, it’s become clear to me that it’s important for people to vote,” he said.
“Hopefully, if people are registered, they’ll then go down to the polling station on 8 June.”
So, if you haven’t registered yet, head to gov.uk and sign up. It takes five minutes, and you could bag yourself a beer at one of the following pubs:
- The Lazy Dog, 112 Ashley Down Road, Bristol BS7 9JR
- The Pipe and Slippers, 118 Cheltenham road, Bristol BS6 5RW
- The Windmill, 14 Windmill Hill, Bristol BS3 4LU
- The Plough, 223 Easton Rd, Bristol BS5 0EG
- The Holman Clavel Inn, Culmhead, Taunton TA3 7EA
- Red Lion, 206 Whitehall Rd BS5, Bristol BS5 9BP
- The Beast of Brixton, 89B Acre Ln, Brixton, London SW2 5TN
- The Love Inn, 84 Stokes Croft, Bristol BS1 3QY
- Spit and Sawdust, 21 Bartholomew St, London SE1 4AL
- The Shakespeare, 1 Henry street, Totterdown, bristol, BS3 4UD
- Golden Lion, Fielden square, Todmorden, OL146LZ
- Biblos Calypso Kitchen, Unit 3, Gaol Ferry Steps, Wapping Wharf, Bristol BS1 6WE
- King William, 36 Thomas Street, London Road, Bath BA1 5NN
- The Queens Head, 15 Denman Street, London W1D 7HN
- The Bank Tavern, 8 John St, Bristol, BS1 2HR
- The Grosvenor Arms, 204 Garrett Lane, SW 18 4 ED
- The Feather Star Ale House, 15 St Johns Street, Wirksworth, Matlock DE4 4DR
- The Raven, 7 Queen Street, Bath, BA1 1HE
- Stroud Brewery Bar, Unit 11, Off Hope Mill Lane, Phoenix Works, London Rd, Thrupp, Stroud GL5 2BU
- Constellations, 35-39 Greenland Street L1 0BS
- Flipside Cocktail Club, 109 Whiteladies Road Bristol, BS8 2PB
- The Drapers Arms, 447 Gloucester Road Bristol BS8 7TZ
- The Lord Nelson, 9-11 Enfield Road, Brentford, TW8 9NY
- The Inn On The Green, 2 Filton rd, Horfield, Bristol, BS7 0PA
If this doesn’t get you interested in the general election, nothing will…