As Benjamin Franklin once said, “beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy”. He wasn’t wrong – a nice cold pint can be a thing of beauty – but that god-given gift often comes at a price.
As all blokes know, a few too many ales, or an extra stout here and there, can play havoc with the waistline. After all, they don’t call them beer bellies for nothing…
We all know how unhealthy beer can be, but have you ever wondered which brands are the worst in terms of calorie count?
As Popsugar reports, these are the top ten calorific beers you can buy. If you’re trying to lose weight, these are the pints you should probably try and avoid.
- Samuel Adams Boston Lager – 180 calories
- Guinness Extra Stout – 176 calories
- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale – 176 calories
- Pete’s Wicked Ale – 172 calories
- Anheuser-Busch Ice Pale Lager – 171 calories
- Harpoon IPA – 170 calories
- Heineken – 166 calories
- Long Trail – 163 calories
- Killian’s Irish Red – 162 calories
- Molson Ice – 160 calories
Samuel Adams is at number one with a 180 calories, just ahead of Guinness Extra Stout with 176. Heineken also ranks surprisingly highly with a hefty 166 calories.
On the end of the spectrum however, Budweiser Select 55 and Beck’s Premier Light are two of the least calorific beers on the market, with just 55 and 63 calories respectively.
So, if you’re looking to keep the weight off, ignore Samuel Adams Boston Lager and go for Budweiser Select 55. Or you could stay off the beer altogether… your call.