You know the saying “once a cheater, always a cheater”? Never has that mantra rang truer than when it comes to playing Monopoly.
Some people can’t help themselves. Whether it’s stealing money from the bank, moving an extra couple of spaces or claiming that Free Parking is an actual rule (it’s not), there are people out there that will stop at nothing to win at Monopoly by fair or foul means.
And now Hasbro has had enough. In an attempt to take some of the stigma out of cheating at a board game that’s just supposed to be fun, the manufacturers have created a “Cheaters Edition” of Monopoly.
Due to be released later this year, Business Insider is reporting that the new version of the game will include an additional stack of 15 cheat cards which are placed alongside the standard Chance and Community Chest cards.
These cards will challenge plays to pull off a variety of villainous acts during the game. There’s a reward for anyone able to pull off any of the associated tricks with no one noticing and a similarly hefty punishment for anyone that gets caught.
- Stealing money from the bank
- Placing a hotel on one of your pieces of property
- Removing a hotel from someone else’s property
- Taking an extra £100 in Monopoly money from the bank when you pass go.
- Moving another player’s token instead of your own on your turn.
- Giving someone less money than you owe them.
- Collecting rent for someone else’s property
The move comes after research conducted by Hasbro revealed that close to half of all players have cheated on the classic board game.
An Cheaters Edition of Monopoly isn’t the only change being made to the game – Hasbro has also set up an online service to help users settle in-game disputes without someone tipping the board over and storming off.