Could You Handle Jason Momoa’s Aquaman Fitness Regimen?

He was the best thing in the Justice League – but looking that good doesn’t come easy.

Aquaman Image DC

As anyone who has ever watched Game of Thrones or Justice League will attest Jason Momoa is a literal man mountain.

Not only does he stand tall at a whopping 6’ 4”, but his body also appears to comprise of about 90% muscle with the remaining 10% left over for tribal tattoos.

Being Jason Momoa looks exhausting and, as it turns out, is pretty exhausting to maintain in real life. Unless you happen to be Jason Momoa of course.

During an interview with Muscle and Strength, Aquaman lifted the lid on his workout regime for the role and it’s the stuff of Superman.

“It’s very hard sometimes to just work out. It’s monotonous and you can get stuck in a rut,” he said.

“I get bored, so I do a lot more boxing, surfing, climbing — I do the things I love to do when I’m not training for a role. When I have to change my body type, then we just switch it up. Doing a lot more weights for size; a lot more cardio for definition.”

According to the interview, Momoa operates on the established Accelerated Results 7 (AR-7) that is the brainchild of personal trainer Eric Laciste.

Justice League
Image Picture Warner Bros

Momoa usually has to pack on mass quickly for his work. AR-7 is based on a combination of low reps, low weights and little rests – something which goes against most standard weightlifting doctrines.

The idea is that the high tempo and fast pace will mean you feel the burn far sooner with the overall aim of reaching muscular failure – when you can no longer perform another rep with proper form.

So a standard session starts with seven sets of seven reps woth seven seconds of rest between each set as part of a circuit of exercises.

You then follow that up with the same sequence, except with six sets, six reps and six seconds of reps. Then you go on to five of everything for your final round with rest of around one to two minutes between each round.

Jason Momoa and Emilia Clarke

Momoa can do up to three workouts a day with this system, as fatigue doesn’t built up since there’s no repetitive and extended lifting of super heavy weights, which would usually have an impact on your joints.

The Aquaman actor started by performing just one workout a day for each body part, including chest, back, legs, core, shoulders and arms before cranking it up to as many as three in one day.

With the programme lasting around six weeks and requiring barbells, bodyweights, cables and dumbbells for a daily workout lasting 120-150 minutes, before a quick run on a treadmill, it’s fair to say this isn’t for the faint of heart.

Maybe leave this one to the superheroes.

Previous Post
Next Post