Is Conor McGregor’s UFC Career Over?

The Irishman's shocking display at the UFC 223 media day spells the end.

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor’s UFC future has been thrown into serious doubt following the Irishman’s explosive appearance at the media day for UFC 223.

The Irishman wasn’t even on the fight card for the event but  decided to gate-crash the event at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and certainly made his presence felt with an entourage of 12 people.

Footage has emerged of McGregor and his crew throwing metal railings and knocking bins over.

Worse still, the Notorious reportedly attacked a bus of UFC fighters, smashing a window on the bus with a trolley in the process. Further altercations between the Irishman and other fighters then ensued.

Why did he do it?

It’s been reported that MMA rival Khabib Nurmagomedov was the intended target of the attack. It followed an angry altercation between the Russian and Artem Lobov, a long-time ally of McGregor.

The Irishman is thought to have sought out Nurmagomedov in a bid to gain some form of retribution for the confrontation, with several other fighters injured in the crossfire.

It may also have something to do with the fact Nurmagomedov was about to do battle for the lightweight title, which McGregor was recently forced to vacate.

The Irishman reacted angrily to the move, tweeting earlier this week: “You’s’ll strip me of nothing you’s do nothing c****s.”

Is his UFC career over?

McGregor’s antics could end up costing him his UFC career. Two of the fights scheduled for the event have already been cancelled as a result of the attack.

Michael Chiesa was forced to withdraw after he suffered several cuts to the head as a result of the shattered glass, while Ray Borg pulled out of his flyweight bought with an eye injury incurred in the assault.

McGregor’s ally Lobov has also been removed from the bill for Saturday’s event over his alleged involvement.

UFC president Dana White, meanwhile, appears to have signalled that the attack may have already put paid to McGregor’s time in the sport.

“This is the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company,” he said. “You can imagine he’s going to be sued beyond belief and this was a real bad career move for him.”

What is next for McGregor?

McGregor has already handed himself in to New York police and has been charged with assault and criminal mischief. “McGregor has been charged with three counts of assault and one of criminal mischief,” a spokesperson said.

Dana White: Conor McGregor's UFC 223 invasion 'the type of bad decision that turns a lot of people off'

Earlier today, Dana White said Conor McGregor's #UFC223 invasion was "the type of bad decision you make that turns a lot of people off."Here's the latest: bit.ly/2HbC0oI

Posted by MMAjunkie on Thursday, 5 April 2018

The charges are serious and could yet result in a prison sentence. McGregor can also expect to either be banned for a significant amount of time by UFC or, worse still, may be banned altogether.

“The organisation deems today’s disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow,” the UFC said.

McGregor could also struggle to get a boxing license as a result of the assault, leaving him with fewer options to explore should UFC kick him out of the sport. All of which could leave the Irishman with little alternative other than to follow Ronda Rousey into WWE.

Previous Post
Next Post

Loaded staff writer Jack Beresford has produced content for Lad Bible, Axonn Media and a variety of online sports and news media outlets.