The jury at the new inquests into the Hillsborough disaster 27 years ago will deliver their verdict on Tuesday on how 96 people died, it was announced in court today.
Fans were crushed as they entered the overcrowded Leppings Lane end of the stadium during 1989’s FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.
Many fans complained after the game that the police hadn’t checked tickets and too many gates had been opened after the game that day.
The coroner, Sir John Goldring, explained to the jury of six women and three men today in court that he would accept a majority decision of 8-1 or 7-2 on the one remaining question they had not agreed on: whether the 96 people who died were unlawfully killed by gross negligence manslaughter.
Goldring said: “It is so that those families who could not be here all the time can come. So it will be tomorrow that I will ask you formally to return your findings in relation to the general and individual questionnaires.”
The jury had been told to answer a general 14-point questionnaire as well as record the time and cause of death for each of the Liverpool fans who died.
Goldring directed the jury that if they were to find South Yorkshire police chief superintendent in command at the match, David Duckenfield, responsible that they must be wholly satisfied.
Goldring told the jury they must be sure Duckenfield breached his duty of care to the people attending the semi-final tie.
The jury for this case was sent out on April 6, more than two years after the inquests started on April 1, 2014 – on record as by far the longest case heard by a jury in British legal history.
The new inquests were ordered after three judges in the high court in December 2012 quashed the first inquest, heard between November 1990 and March 1991.
Loaded sports writer Pearse Corcoran has covered news, sport and entertainment for several national newspapers and radio stations in Ireland. Follow him on Twitter at @PearseCorcoran