Dan Aykrody has hit out at the Ghostbusters reboot, accusing director Paul Feig of ‘wasting money’.
The actor, who made a cameo in the 2016 film, blamed Feig for ‘costly reshoots’, which made a sequel financially unjustifiable.
Speaking on Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch, Aykrody hit out at the reboot and accused Feig of failing to meet with Sony’s demands.
“The girls are great in it. Kate McKinnon, Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig – what wonderful, wonderful players they are – and Leslie Jones. I was really happy with the movie, but it cost too much,” he said.
“And Sony does not like to lose money. It made a lot of money around the world but it just cost too much, making it economically not feasible to do another one. So that’s too bad – the director, he spent too much on it.”
Explaining the additional costs, Aykrody continued: “He didn’t shoot scenes we suggested to him, several scenes that were going to be needed, and he said, ‘No, we don’t need them,’ and then we tested the movie and they needed them and he had to go back — about $30 to $40 million in reshoots. So, yeah, he will not be back on the Sony lot anytime soon.”
They’re pretty damning words from Aykroyd, and pretty much bury the idea of a sequel happening once and for all.
The film became one of the most notable flops of 2016, after failing to turn a profit on on a $144 million budget and a hefty marketing costs.
However, despite the backlash from some fans – the trailer is still the most down-voted trailer in the history of YouTube – the finished movie turned out pretty well and was received warmly by critics.
Paul Feig previously revealed that he couldn’t see a Ghostbusters sequel happening anytime soon, and based on this new evidence, we doubt it’ll ever get made.